Thursday, March 5, 2009

I am so happy for your success.

I enjoy reading posts about the success of my friends children. Sometimes. I am not really thrilled to read the latest post of a friend. Honestly, it made me very sad. Her child is "gifted" and scored a ridiculously high score on a test geared for children much older. I am impressed. I really did not need to hear it shouted from the mountaintop.

My children are good kids. They do fairly well in school. They do not test well. I worry about what they will become as all mothers do for their babies. One of my children has a learning disability. It is mild in the scheme of things but to me, it is tragic. The child seems normal to the naked eye but when dealing with him you realize his many issues and shortcomings. He has talent that may never be put to use because of his inability to maintain focus. He could be a wonderful musician if he chose to be. He is also a talented artist. His focus seems to be on things violent and obscene. I hope for a Tarantino type success for him. Not a prison term.

The thing that got to me in my friend's post was her wonderful meeting with teachers for advanced placement. I have meetings with my child's teachers also but I never leave them feeling psyched as she did. It is utterly depressing for me. Sometimes they make me cry. I wonder if my friend understands how her bragging might be viewed by some. To me, it is a slap. I am glad we are not close.

My children are imperfect and so am I. I suppose the world needs us all. I hope it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment